Shelter dogs are an option for would-be pet owners. For the last decade, there's been a shift from breeders and puppy farms to shelter pets. To that end, there's a new movement promoted by some of our legends of comedy. In a new PSA, Carol Burnett, Bob Newhart, Carl Reiner and Lily Tomlin enlightens us as to what growing older means for senior people and senior dogs, and how an organization like Grey Muzzle can help.
Grey Muzzle Organization
The Grey Muzzle Organization's mission statement is a vision of a world where older dogs do not "die alone and afraid."
The Grey Muzzle Organization improves the lives of at-risk senior dogs by providing funding and resources to animal shelters, rescue organizations, sanctuaries, and other non-profit groups nationwide.
Values of this Charity
- They believe old dogs contribute positively to our quality of life and have much to teach us about patience, respect, responsibility, loyalty and unconditional love.
- They believe every senior dog deserves to live out their golden years, months, weeks or even days in a place of love, security and peace.
- They believe dogs are not a disposable commodity; rather, they depend on us to care for them through all stages of their lives.
- They believe at times it is appropriate to make an end-of-life decision based on a deteriorating quality of life or if the dog is harmful to itself or others.
- They believe in working with diverse organizations from across the country that share our fundamental values.
- They believe in honest and open decision making that allows us to be accountable to our donors and the organizations we support.
- They believe in providing educational support, advocacy, and sharing of best practices for those who support senior dogs.
Celebrities Weigh In . . .
“Many older dogs are surrendered to shelters because their owners passed away or can’t afford their care,” Carol Burnett explains in the PSA.
“And for some of them, there are no more options,” adds Bob Newhart, highlighting Grey Muzzle’s vision of “a world where no old dog dies alone and afraid.”
“When you support Grey Muzzle, you’re giving senior dogs the most precious gift of all…” Carl Reiner begins. Lily Tomlin continues, “The chance to live out their final years, months or days with dignity, grace and a happy smile on their face.”
“Thanks to these legendary stars, more people will learn about at-risk senior dogs and how donating to Grey Muzzle saves and improves the lives of old dogs nationwide,” says Grey Muzzle’s executive director Lisa Lunghofer.
Faithful Friends Monthly Giving
If this is a charity that resonates with you, you may think about donating to Grey Muzzle.
Here’s what Faithful Friends’ monthly donations can do:
- 50¢ per day ($15/month) can provide a senior dog with life-saving heartworm treatment.
- $1 per day ($30/month) can provide orthopedic beds for 7 senior dogs who are awaiting their forever homes in shelters nationwide.
- $2 per day ($60/month) can provide subsidized veterinary care to 5 senior dogs, ensuring that people on fixed incomes do not have to surrender their beloved pets because they can’t cover veterinary costs.
- $2.50 per day ($75/month) can provide 30 senior dogs with the opportunity to find a forever home through a Senior to Senior adoption program.
- $3.33 per day ($100/month) can support development of an in-home hospice program to ensure old dogs receive the comfort, care, and love they deserve in their final days.
Click here to set up an automatic Faithful Friends monthly donation. Grey Muzzle is an IRS 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization. All donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
As Lily Tomlin urges in the PSA, “Go out and adopt a senior dog. They are amazing! And they will be so grateful.”
Primary Source: Grey Muzzle Organization