A peckish pig who can't tolerate 'spicy' food excreted a battery-powered pedometer which subsequently sparked a raging barnyard blaze.
Some future free-range bacon decided to do some free-range bakin', or so it would seem. On the morning of March 7th, the official Twitter page for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (@NorthYorksFire) issued an illustrated tweet - “should be an oink”, quote unquote – stating firecrews based at Tadcaster and Knaresbororough were dispatched to a farm in the village of Bramham, near the city of Leeds.
They were greeted by the sight of four pigpens in full conflagration mode. The firefighters proceeded to do that voodoo that they do so well... or as they put it, “a hose-reel was used to extinguish the fire and save the bacon.”
Yeah, you can tell the account was having a little fun and why not? North Yorkshire is a rather bucolic locale, as English shires go, and in the event no harm was done to man nor beast.
That said, fires always have the potential to harm life and damage property to various degrees (pun intended), so a followup investigation was conducted at the scene. The conclusions were surprising and enlightening, to say the least!
While sifting through the 75 square metre (over 800 sq ft) burned area at the farm, the remains of a battery-powered pedometer were recovered. It seemed – and this is a new one for us – that some farmers outfit their livestock with pedometers to prove their provenance as free-range meadow roamers.
NYFRS investigators put two and two together and came up with a plausible theory: a battery powered pedometer worn by one of the pigs was eaten by another pig, who excreted the device some time later, which then sparked an inferno among the pigpens' abundance of dung and straw. The image above may or may not depict the poopin' pig perp after its arrest... but we'd like to believe it does. Seriously, have you ever seen a pig look so guilty? (via The Guardian)