Totem animal via
Is there an animal that is frequently present in your dreams? Do you often find depictions of that animal pop up out of nowhere, randomly, in your comings and goings?
Totem animals are most likely not the ones you've chosen as pets. Rather, they are animals of your spirit and, it is said, offer spiritual guidance to you throughout your life. Though this can happen without your awareness, if you can be attuned to their 'voices,' you will gain a deeper understanding of yourself and how aspects of your life influence your decisions.
Gaia, a consciousness-expanding website that explores several methods of spiritual pursuit, including practices of ancient civilizations, meditation, and yoga, suggests 8 steps to becoming alert to finding your spirit animal:
1. Observe nature
2. Take note of animal encounters
3. Perform a ceremony to call your animal to you
4. Research animals of interest
6. Document your dreams
7. Study your spirit animal; why has this animal chosen you?
8. Express gratitude to this animal
An excellent source for help in finding your animal is Legends of America, a volunteer research website (that accepts tips!) This website recommends asking yourself these questions to help you get closer to finding your totem animal:
- Have you ever felt drawn to one animal or another without being able to explain why? This could be any type of living creature, including birds and insects.
- Does a certain kind of animal consistently appear in your life? This doesn’t necessarily have to be a physical appearance, it could be represented in other ways, such as receiving cards and letters with the same animal pictured over and over, unexplainable dreams of a particular animal, watching television and seeing the same animal featured time and time again, or, actually having the animal show up.
- When you go to the zoo, a park, wildlife area, or forest, what are you most interested in seeing?
- Are there any animals that you find to be extremely frightening or intriguing?
- Is there a particular animal that you see frequently when you’re out in nature?
- Have you ever been bitten or attacked by an animal?
- Have you ever had a recurring dream about a certain animal, or a dream from childhood that you have never been able to forget?
- Are you drawn to figurines or paintings of a specific animal?
If you don't want to delve into the depths of your soul to find your totem animals, and prefer the "Reader's Digest" version, take this quiz on All The Tests. I took it and got four animals in this order: Wolf, Deer, Eagle, and Bear. Hmm.
Do take a look at some of the 100 animals or so that could be your spiritual guide. You only have one guide; but remember, you can't pick your spirit animal; it picks you!
If your spiritual guide is a dove, for example, you are meant to be involved in communication with other worlds, you are a spirit messenger, and live in peace, gentleness, and love.
If it is a frog, your symbolism is water, cleansing, rebirth, sensitivity, medicine, hidden beauty, peace, adaptability, metamorphosis.
If a rabbit, fertility, art, you are in motion, hyper-vigilant, joyful, live by your own wits, and step through fear. (Legends of America).
Nature teaches us so many things. It might be worth it to explore what your special spirit animal can teach you.