A French fly will live to buzz another diner's dinner after an irate eater with an electric fly swatter accidentally blew up his own kitchen.
Would you like flies with that? No, no we would not, and thanks to modern technology repelling these disease-spreading dipterids is as easy as SWISH ZAP THUD... a rather tiny “thud” as the electrocuted insect hits the carpet.
That's how the script's supposed to play out but one particularly persistent pest was able to turn the tables on his anthropoid adversary.
We take you to Parcoul-Chenaud, a small and (normally) quiet village in the southwestern French department of Dordogne, where a hungry octogenarian was eager to enjoy a just-baked dinner.
Trouble was, the fragrant aroma had attracted an uninvited guest – a common housefly – who had the audacity to come between a Frenchman and his food: an unforgivable faux-pas which demands the severest punishment!
Reaching for his trusty electric bug zapper, the infuriated senior charged after the intrepid intruder in a fit of Gallic fury! Expecting to hear a satisfying “BZZZT!”, the oldster instead was treated to an earthshaking “KABOOM!” as the bug zapper's electric spark set off a cooking gas canister that had sprung a leak.
End result: one home with a destroyed kitchen and damaged roof, one very “hangry” old Frenchman with a burned hand who's been forced to live at a local campsite, and one smirking fly (can flies smirk?) with a whole home-cooked dinner to him- or her-self. (via BBC, images via Jean Balczesak, Jefferson William, and British Pest Control Ass'n)