If you don't like to laugh, don't read this blog!
This year's finalists for the Comedy Wildlife Photography Awards do not disappoint. Some of these photos immediately make you laugh out loud and others kind of creep up on you, but these 40 photos are comedic in the best of ways - they are real. I don't know how the judges did it, but the 40 finalists were chosen from more than 3500 entries from 86 countries. If you are not a lover of wildlife already, you will become one when you see these beautiful creatures in their natural environments captured off-guard in their most honest moments.
1. George Cathcart, WTF
Founded by Tanzania-based photographers Paul Joynson-Hicks MBE and Tom Sullam, the aim of the awards is to put a spotlight on wildlife conservation efforts while simultaneously injecting some humor into the world of wildlife photography. You are sure to find humor and, perhaps, these photos will stir your humanity at the same time.
Here are the remaining 39 finalists, in no particular order except to keep me honest.
2. Andrea Zampatti, The Laughing Dormouse
3. Melissa Nolan, Bear Necessities
4. Arkaprava Ghosh, Let Me Clear My Vision
5. Linda Oliver, Sending A Clear Message
6. Aster Leung, Which Way?
7. Barb D'Arpino, Mom Mom Mom Mom
8. Daniel Trim, Mudskippers Got Talent
9. Douglas Croft, Must Have Three-Putted
10. Eugene Kitsios, Smile
11. Carl Henry, All Dressed Up And Ready For Church
12. Gil Merritt, Lord Of The Jungle
13. Daisy Gilardini, Hitching A Ride
14. Jasmine Vink, Chameleon Dance
15. Brian Valente, Laughing Seal
16. Graeme Guy, Outsourcing Seatbelt Checks
17. Bence Mate, Caught In The Act
18. Troy Mayne, Slap
19. Christopher Martin, Disco Dancer
20. Tibor Kercz, Help
21. Esa Ringbom, Tease
22. Tanakit Suwanyangyaun, Say Cheese
23. Melissa Usrey, Burrowing Owlet Embarrassed By Kissing Behind Him
24. Monique Jöris, Headless Penguins
25. Paulette Struckman, Gnus Flash
26. Oliver Colle, Eh What's Up Doc?
27. Katy Laveck Foster, Monkey Escape
28. Hannele Kaihola, Knockout
29. Johnny Kaapa, Superhero
30. John Sheridan, Cuddling Cubs
31. Jean Jaque Alcalay, Animal Encounters
(The angle of the camera makes this look like the moose is standing on the backs of his buddies; but the moose is actually standing on a mound.)
32. John Threlfall, Duck Speed
33. Tin Stehr, Wild About Laughing
34. Budkov Denis, Do Not Worry
35. Nadav Bagim, Hide And Seek
36. Roie Galitz, Three Tanors
37. Penny Palmer, Cheering Sea Otter
38. Miquel Angel Artus Illana, Military Regiment
39. Andrey Giljov, Kung Fu Training, Austrailian Style
40. Josef Friedhuber, Grimace
I hope you enjoyed these incredible photos, the subjects only as brilliant as the photographers. And the titles were pretty good too!