Log in  •  Sign up   •  Subscribe feed icon

Toxic Terrier Treated With Vodka

An American Staffordshire terrier puppy living in Melbourne, Australia, was severely ill after licking up some anti-freeze. Stacey Zammit had received Cleo for a Christmas present. She rushed the 10-week-old-puppy to American Staffordshire Terrier (Photo by Lilly M/Creative Commons via Wikimedia)American Staffordshire Terrier (Photo by Lilly M/Creative Commons via Wikimedia)the veterinarian when the dog began swaying and refusing food. The vet realized that Cleo was heading for kidney failure in a very short time.

It was time for quick thinking and taking a chance to save Cleo's life. It was serendipity that the vet just happened to have a bottle vodka on hand. It had also been a Christmas present. Cleo was started on medicinal vodka immediately. The next time Zammit saw her dog Cleo was moving with a tipsy gait and had very bloodshot eyes. It is surprising that the dog was mobile at all considering that she was receiving vodka through a tube in her nose every few hours for just over two days. She consumed a bottle and half in that time.

The treatment is a rare one. The alcohol stopped a chemical reaction to ethylene glycol in the dog's body. Without treatment the chemical would cause renal failure and death for the animal. Just a teaspoon of ethelyne glycol can kill a full-grown cat. Cleo had to pay for her life-saving treatment the hardway -- with a monster hangover. 

Last month in the U.S. anti-freeze manufacturers have agreed to voluntarily begin adding a bittering agent to their products to make them unappealing to pets, children, and wildlife nationwide. If your pet ingests anti-freeze or coolant, seek veterinary help immediately. Never give your animal alcohol yourself.

Sources: Mail Online, Humane Society Legislative Fund

Laurie Kay Olson
Animal News Blogger
PetsLady.com

Comments

Post new comment

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.

Pets Blogs Pets blog sites Real Time Analytics