You and your pets are at your most comfortable at home, but if you haven’t been careful with keeping toxic common household items far away from fuzzy, feathered and scaly family members, you’re asking for trouble. Here’s some simple tips to avoid having to take Fido to get his tummy pumped:




Human Medicine – Anything ranging from vitamins and pain killers, to cold medicine and topical creams could be toxic if ingested by your pet. Always keep pill bottles, creams and ointments well out of your animal’s reach, because who knows how a taste of your medication could harm your little friends?




Flea, Tick and other Pet Insecticides – Always follow the directions for bug-killing products to the letter, or your pet may suffer severely for it. Never apply or administer a higher dose than recommended, or give the pet insecticide creams, dips, drips, shampoos or tablets to any type of animal other than what it is clearly intended for. For example, applying a topical flea killing product intended for dogs might be toxic for cats.




Cleaning Products – Always store cleaning products in a cool, dark place that pets can’t access. Make sure to use cleaners as directed too!




Yard Pest Poisons – Although spiders, scorpions, toxic plants and other pests present another can of worms for poison prevention, rodent, bug and weed killers need to be set and stored as instructed on the label so your animals cannot get a mouthful of pest killer inside or outside your home.

If the unthinkable happens, and your pet comes into contact these or any other poisonous substances, immediately call ASPCA’s poison control number at (888) 426-4435 for an instant diagnosis, or make a beeline to the vet’s office for emergency aid. Poison-proofing your pet’s home is the single greatest way to keep your animal buddies from getting into something noxious, and it’ll save you a whole bunch of time, money and heartache. Stay safe, everyone!

Sources: ASPCA, VetStreet, Humane Society