The chances are pretty good that you already know that chocolate, alcohol and soda are bad things to share with your puppies and kitties, no matter how much they beg for whatever you’re enjoying. But what are some other goodies in the kitchen that are toxic to your pet?

 

No one knows exactly what makes grapes and raisins are toxic for dogs and cats, but consuming them may cause kidney failure, especially for sickly or elderly pets.

 

Avoid giving your pets milk, cheese or other dairy products, because their digestive systems lack the enzymes needed to break down lactose, which often causes diarrhea and other tummy troubles.

 

One of the scariest common foods that should never be given to a pet are those containing thiosulphate. This naturally occurring compound is commonly found in onions, chives and garlic, but onions contain a particularly high concentration of thiosulphate. Dogs and cats who have consumed a toxic dose of onion will feel the effects a few days afterward, which include liver damage, vomiting, diarrhea, discolored urine, labored breathing and hemolytic anemia, which causes the animal’s red blood cells to burst. Thankfully, this only usually effects an animal that has consumed a relatively large amount of onion-based product, but be mindful that many common human foods contain onions!

 

Yes, your little buddy’s great-great-great x200 grandparents were taking down moose and gnu for lunch, but your pampered pet cannot handle raw meat and eggs. You and your pets should be equally cautious of catching E. coli or salmonella from raw foods, so if you plan on making dinner for your furry family, make sure that it’s well done.

Take care to feed your pets the most healthy food and treats available, always provide fresh water, and give them a hug whenever you can!

Sources: ASPCA, Earth Clinic, Humane Society

Comments

Share Your Thoughts!