Biking With Buddy: WalkyDog Bicycle Dog Leash
Stopping at every tree or bush or blade of grass may be fun for Buddy and Trixie, but it's not exercise for them or you. WalkyDog, a leash that's designed to attach to your bike, will help make it safe and a pleasure to jog and bike together!
The WalkyDog, also known as the K-9 Bike Jogger, fits into a clamp affixed to the vertical bar beneath your handlebar. The leash can be used with multiple bikes as long as they have the proper clamp which you can order. The WalkyDog tube holds an extendable leash and the tube can be adjusted to the angle that works best for you and your dog. The fitting takes about 5 minutes to accomplish.
Then you and your pup can train together to bike and jog at the same time. You begin by getting your dog used to walking with the WalkyDog; you can take him for walks on the leash for a few days. When you are ready to attach the WalkyDog to your bike, walk your dog again for 5 - 10 minutes prior to getting him ready for the bike.
Then you're ready to learn the ropes... both of you. So, start riding slowly and make sure you're in a good local... away from traffic or much interference. Slowly pick up the speed allowing time at each speed for both of you to feel comfortable. Short workout periods are best during the first few days.
The leash extends 14.5'. If that, combined with the height of your seat is not enough, you can attach the WalkyDog leash to your dog's own leash, or simply substitute the rope in the WalkyDog leash to the desired length.
WalkyDog is not for every dog.
- Dogs should be at least 20 pounds and the rider at least 40 pounds heavier than the dog.
- Dogs should be examined by their veterinarians prior to participating in this jog/biking exercise.
- This activity should not be undertaken by anyone under 14 years old, and adults should supervise teens older than 14 using the WalkyDog.
- Make sure your pup is well-hydrated. Bring fresh water with you for breaks. Make sure your dog is not hyperventilating. Some dogs have more endurance than others, so be careful not to overdo your routines.
- Check your dog's paw pads for abrasions. Dog paws are very sensitive to heat and rough terrain. Also, check for stones or burrs between his pads.
You can purchase WalkyDog at Amazon.com and read the superlative reviews; the product has top ratings, 5 stars, so lots of dogs and their owners are loving their new exercise together. If you wish to attach your WalkyDog to more than one bike, additional clamps make be purchased here. (See K-9 Bike Jogger)