Animals Everywhere Make Their Predictions For Super Bowl Victors
One Super Bowl tradition that has been growing faster than trying to eat your weight in chicken wings is that of having local zoo animals predict the winner through a variety of methods of selection. From a balloon popping dog on Jay Leno to a porcupine named Teddy Bear, the animals are really getting into the spirit of the competition, even if the results are clearly as mixed as human opinion.
Here is a selection of who (or what) has predicted which team will become the annual Super Bowl champs:
- Chaco, the armadillo, chosen by balloon at the Virginia Zoo.
- Princess, the psychic camel, chose graham crackers in trainer's hand, Popcorn Park Zoo, N.J.
- Panya, the elephant, chose team pennant, Audubon Zoo, New Orleans, LA.
- Ozzy, the grizzly bear, chose between banana pies, ZooMontana
- Feliz, the orangutan, putting on team jersey, Audubon Zoo, New Orleans, LA.
- Teddy Bear, a porcupine, chose corn on the cob.
- Henry and Missy, the zebras, chose between papier-mache team footballs with a treat inside, Fort Worth Zoo.
- Calypso, the sea turtle, chose the frozen fish.
San Francisco 49ers
- Jody, the elephant, selected the team melon.
- Frankie, the monkey, chosen by iPad, Moody Gardens, Galveston, TX
- Siabu, the orangutan, chose between team blankets, Oklahoma City Zoo.
- Fred, the Psychic Bunny, chose the flashcard.
- Sushi, the sea lion, fished team mini-helmet out of the pool, Audubon Zoo, New Orleans, LA.
- Gabby, the sea turtle, chose team logo on card, Ripley's Aquarium, Myrtle Beach, S.C.
On Jay Leno the balloon popping dog selected the Ravens by popping dozens of balloons. On Jimmy Kimmel a bevy of sleeping puppies had to be woken up to select which team's food dish to eat from. They also chose the Ravens.
In other Super Bowl animal related news, the directors of the zoos in San Francisco and Baltimore have made a wager. If the Ravens win then the San Francisco zoo must rename its black rhino exhibit after the Ravens (one of the rhinos is named after 49ers offensive lineman Alex Boone). If the 49ers win then the Baltimore zoo must rename its raven exhibit after the 49ers.
Either way, someone is going to end up eating crow.
Source: NBC Sports
Laurie Kay Olson
Animal News Blogger