Sweet potato dog jerky or chews are super alternatives to dog bones. Sweet potatoes are one of the healthiest foods for humans and dogs, containing many essential vitamins and minerals. And dogs love the taste of sweet potatoes!
DIY Sweet Potato Chews
You can easily make your own sweet potato chews or 'jerky' for your dogs and prepare it to be as tough, chewy, or soft as your dog needs them. Very few dogs are known to reject sweet potato chews as long as they are not too tough. Generally, the older the dog, the softer you want to make the chews. Dogs with bad teeth, of course, should probably be given just plain baked or microwaved sweet potato.
Lady Bee's DIY Sweet Potato Dog Chews
When I have extra sweet potatoes I make these myself....
- Buy some sweet potatoes or yams and slice them lengthwise, as close to the same thickness as possible.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat an oven to 250º.
- Bake for 2-3 hours, depending on how soft or hard you want them. The longer you bake them, the more shriveled and challenging they become.
- Once cool, wrap the slices in more parchment, slide into a freezer bag.
- Keep in refrigerator up to 2-3 weeks, or freeze.
- Remove one from the refrigerator about 1/2-to-1 hour before treating your dog. If the chews are frozen, thaw and dry off before rewarding your pup!
Sam's Yams Sweet Potato Chewz
If you are not into making your own dog treats, I really like Sam's Yams Veggie Rawhide Sweet Potato Chewz. They are so much more convenient than baking your own chews, and their ingredients are the same as yours: just sweet potatoes!
- Sam's Yams are already made! And dogs love them.
- Sam's uses the same ingredients as your DIY chews - sweet potatoes!
- Sam's Yams are dehydrated, rather than baked, and stay fresh longer than your DIY yam chews.
- Sam's Yams are packaged in a sturdy, re-sealable bag.
- And... Sam's Yams have patented ridges to help clean your dog's teeth!
And for small dogs, there are the clever Sam's Yams Bichon 'Fries' Sweet Potato Dog Chewz (with ridges of course!)
That's the buzz for today!