After a devastating fire destroyed their Oklahoma home, Rhonda Westenberger, her sister, Evelyn, and their five dogs are all safe thanks to the efforts of Baby, their 10-year-old pit bull terrier and heroine. All their material possessions were lost, but Baby shines resplendent as their most precious family jewel.
Baby Warned The Family Of Impending Fire
It was Baby who first sensed the danger and smelled the smoke when the fire first broke out. Her incessant barking and jumping immediately alerted the two women who were sound asleep in their beds. Rhonda told the press: " If Baby hadn't woken Evelyn up, I don't think either one of us would have come out of it." (See: Cat Named Tink Saves Family From Fire.)
They Had Seconds To Escape The Blaze
The family' s home for 17 years and all of their possessions were lost in the blaze. getting everyone out of harm's way included the five other dogs also trapped in the burning home, but Baby was already on it. She ran back into the burning residence to pull them all out. One little Chihuahua was hiding under the bed but Baby found her and grabbed the pup by the neck and dragged it outside. (See:Dog Warns Family of Fire.)
Hope is not lost for this family because, thanks to Baby, all occupants are alive and well. According to Rhonda Westenberger: "She has always come across to us as one of the family and this just proves it. I'm so proud of her. It brings my spirit up a lot to see the dogs. She is my hero. She's the hero for all of us." Rhonda's sister, Evelyn, suffers from heart failure and was sent to nearby Midwest City Regional Hospital to recover. (See: Goat Alerts Sleeping Family to Fire.)
Firefighters believe the blaze initiated in the clothes dryer and quickly spread throughout the house from there. May news of the unfair reputation given to pit bulls spread even more rapidly, as these animals can be loyal and loving if they are treated kindly in their early years, as Baby's brave and loving actions indicate.
Good job,brave Baby!
Way to go!