While it’s been around since 2012, Giving Tuesday is just coming into its own this year, due to Bill Gates and Facebook. Started by the 92nd Street Y and the United Nations Foundation, this special day is in response to all the commercialization and consumerism that emanates from the post-Thanksgiving season [namely Black Friday and Cyber Monday]. As a result, its a growing movement for international giving globally. Giving Tuesday, often promoted as #GivingTuesday for the purposes of hashtag activism is this year celebrated on November 28 . . . and it's twice as special.
In a recent PETA [People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals] release, it was announced that #GivingTuesday gifts can go twice as far this year, due to Facebook and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
When donors use the “Donate” button on their Facebook page or create their own fundraiser in support of animals, gifts made on #GivingTuesday will be matched up to $50,000 for nonprofits and $1,000 for fundraisers. All fees will be waived for the day, which means that every dollar raised will go 100-percent towards the benefit of animals. There is $2 million in total funds for these animal donations.
However, there is URGENCY . . .
. . . so, I would suggest that anyone interested after reading this blog, should donate immediately, as the match is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
To donate, visit their Facebook Page for #GivingTuesday and click on the “Donate” button.
Creating Your Own
If you want to create your own #GivingTuesday initiative on Facebook, here’s the easy steps to jump-start your campaign.
- Get ready: On November 27, the day before #GivingTuesday, create your Facebook fundraising page here so that it’s ready to go on #GivingTuesday.
- Set your goal: Each individual fundraiser could be matched up to $1,000. Reach for the stars! Remember that every fundraiser this #GivingTuesday will make an impact for animals, no matter how much is raised.
- Get creative: Personalize your fundraising page and remember to use the #GivingTuesday hashtag. Choose a good photo. Then write a short message about what this special #GivingTuesday means to you and why you’re using it to make a difference for animals.
- Go viral: In the days leading up to #GivingTuesday, let your Facebook community know that you want to help animals. Then, on the morning of November 28, remind everyone that if they donate to your fundraiser starting at 8 a.m. EST, their gift could be doubled. Be sure to tag your compassionate friends and family members.
- Celebrate: With your help, this #GivingTuesday will be a great day for animals!
If you have any questions or want to provide PETA with your feedback on this campaign, you can contact email@example.com.
Primary Source: #GivingTuesday