By now, most of us are aware of the litany of foods that dogs should never eat, such as chocolate, grapes, onions and garlic, avocado skins and pits, etc. If you’re a strict pet parent and reading this, you’re probably thinking you have nothing to worry about. But food can fall off tables and counters and dogs can get into things they are not supposed to.
With that in mind, here’s a quick list of 4 more foods that are dangerous for dogs.
1. Xylitol Sweeteners
So, you’re asking yourself, “What the heck is xylitol and what would my dog be eating that contains it?” For starters, almost anything sugar-free, like gum, candy, beverages, artificially flavored yogurts, etc. Apparently, ingestion of xylitol can cause dangerously low blood-sugar levels in dogs. In other words, a hypoglycemia attack that could be deadly to your dog could be in store for you, if you’re not careful.
2. Macadamia Nuts
These delicious nuts cost a small fortune, so perhaps it’s just as well our dogs shouldn’t eat them. Ingesting them can cause vomiting in canines as well as ataxia (loss of control), weakness and even depression. I’m not sure how they figured that last symptom out in association with eating macadamia nuts, but the rest of it amounts to your dog becoming very ill, should they decide to dine on them.
3. Caffeinated Substances
Here’s one you may or may not know about. You’ve probably heard that coffee is not good for dogs, but anything with caffeine is not good for them. That includes, tea, Pepsi, chocolate (obviously), energy drinks and any other food, beverage or product containing it. Caffeine is toxic to dogs, just like the other items on this list so far. Consuming it can cause vomiting, diarrhea and increased heart rate, as well as thirst.
What dog doesn’t get just as excited when the popcorn is busted out as the humans in the room? Well, maybe dogs that don’t ever get people food, but the rest of them get pretty darn excited when that delicious buttery aroma hits the air. While popcorn is not toxic to dogs, it’s surprisingly not good for them, often times leading to dehydration and possibly packing on a few pounds due to salt and fat.
Hopefully, you'll add these items to your list of don't feeds. If you have any questions, consult your veterinarian.